Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

R2D2


On my journey to improve my cake designing skills, this is one of my more recent ventures.  This was for my nephew Charlie's 4th birthday.  The cake is all just basic orange scented pound cake with lavender buttercream.  I know its not typical for a kids cake, but its not too crazy either and there were adults eating the cake too.  The body of the cake is all stacked 8 inch rounds, the head was made using an 8 inch hemisphere mold that allows you to make either a mousse filling or a different flavor cake inside.   I created a mechanism between the head and body using two plastic cake layer pieces with a hole drilled in the middle and bolted together so that the head could swivel.  Had I had more time, money, and patience, I would have loved to install some LED's to make it a little more awesome, but I decided to keep it simple this time.  The arms/legs or whatever you'd call them were made totally of rice krispie treats covered in buttercream and fondant.  All in all this came out even better than I expected.  This was only the third cake of this degree of difficulty that I've made so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment