Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thats no moon... Its a Space Station.

So this cake was for Tony, my friend Veronica's boyfriend.  It seems like there's a theme nowadays with Star Wars cakes.  Seriously, from 2 yrs old to my age people are loving these things.  I had some options to choose from, but I've already done Darth Vader twice and the whole point of this is to create some diversity in my portfolio.  So I thought it would be cool to recreate the deadliest space station in history.  I have a 8" hemisphere pan so that's what I used for the top half of the Death Star.  The bottom half is foam, because it creates a better support, its lighter, and its cheap and this was an extreme budget cake. I covered both hemispheres in dark grey fondant and used an embossing tool to create the illusion of texture and compartmentalization of the sphere.  In the equatorial channel, I piped it with black icing and stuck on some different colored sprinkles to simulate distant lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment